HOW MANY VEGETARIANS AND VEGANS ARE THERE IN THE WORLD?
BENEFITS OF A VEGAN DIET
As well as an overall improvement to your health, people also choose a vegan diet for many other reasons such as:
● Animal welfare ● Not being comfortable with eating dead animals ● To be more environmentally friendly ● Social justice and world famine
If we dive deeper into each of these subjects we will discover the great advantages that come with choosing a vegan diet:
LESS LIKELIHOOD TO SUFFER A SERIOUS ILLNESS:
Vegan diets offer numerous health benefits. People who choose to eat vegan suffer less from heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity, and have lower levels of cholesterol. This diet includes eating fruits, vegetables, pulses, and whole grains; all of which help to protect against stomach, esophagus, lung and oral cancer. Other vitamins and minerals such as fibres or carotenoids help to protect against breast, prostate and colorectal cancer.
BEING ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY:
The farming and meat industry is the main cause of deforestation in the world. Products of animal origin have 10 times more impact on the environment than the plant based alternative. If the entire world population ate more vegetables and less animal products, we would see incredible benefits for the environment: water use would decrease by 20% worldwide, and emissions would be reduced by half.
Whatsmore the land used for farming would be free to grow in its natural state.
More than 70.000 million animals are bred each year to satisfy the demands of the meat industry. The majority of these animals are bred in small overcrowded spaces far from nature, that are chosen to maximize resources, production and corporate profits.
Choosing a vegan diet means not consuming animal products in food, fashion or cosmetics.
WHAT COUNTRIES HAVE THE LARGEST NUMBER OF VEGETARIANS?
Here is a list of the countries that have the largest number of vegans within their population. You may be surprised!:
- INDIA: This vast country has one of the lowest meat consumption rates in the world, with 35% of the population following a vegan diet. This is encouraged by religion, in particular Buddhism and Jainism that respect all forms of life and support no forms of violence towards them.
- ISRAEL: This country is considered the ideal destination for vegan tourism as 13% of the population consume a vegan diet. As well as being encouraged for religious reasons (Judaism), it is becoming a popular lifestyle among the atheist population.
- TAIWAN: In this country veganism is becoming so popular that the government has supported the movement “one vegetarian day a week”. 12% of the population is vegan.
- ITALY, AUSTRIA AND GERMANY: These are the top three vegan countries in Europe, with 9 to 10% of their population choosing a vegan diet. More and more people are choosing this way of life and there are many vegan outlets being opened all over these countries to support the trend.